We are usually asked about:

How do I get a quote for translation service?

To get a free non-binding quote by email, please email us your document together with any special instructions (styling preferences, certification, postage of a bound copy, names spelling and etc) and you will get a detailed quote in 10-15 minutes. The quote will indicate price, turnaround time and instructions how to proceed.

How do I place an order?

Once you have received your quote, please read it carefully. Please also read our T&Cs. You will find the link in the bottom of the email with your quote. After you have read the T&Cs and when you are happy to proceed, to place the order, please reply us by email confirming that you wish to proceed according to the quote and T&Cs. If you have any vouchers and discounts, please quote them at this stage. We will then issue an invoice. You will need to make payment to place you order.

Is your translation certified?

LingvoHouse certifies all translation according to UK standard. The translation will come on our official letterhead. It will include our credentials, details of the translator, confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document and that our translation agency contact details. It will be dated and include the original signature of the translator or an authorised official of our translation company. The translation will also bear our official stamp.

Is your certification valid for my purposes?

Our standard certified translation is designed to be accepted by UK official bodies including UKBA (Home Office), NARIC, embassies, courts and etc. However, some organisations, especially embassies, may require solicitor or notary certification as well. You must find out yourself what the certification requirements are and advise us before placing your order. LingvoHouse cannot be held responsible for non-acceptance or non-conformity of the chosen type of certification.

When and how do I pay?

You will need to make payment upon placing your order. Unless otherwise stated, we will not proceed with translation until you have paid. Once you are happy with the quote, please reply so by email and we will email you a secure link to pay by card or bank transfer.

For security reasons, we no longer accept:

  • Paypal, Skrill or similar
  • Union card
  • Revolut, Bitcoin
  • Amex

After the payment is made we will email you a confirmation email for your records. Please indicate preferred method of payment once you place your order.

Can I pay upon receipt of my order?

LingvoHouse operates on a pre-payment basis unless otherwise agreed additionally. If in special circumstances we are happy to proceed without pre-payment, we will notify you accordingly in writing.

Can I cancel my order?

Please note that small orders of £100+VAT or less are non-refundable at all as translation is a custom service where you are being charged for the working time to arrange & translate it. 

If you need to cancel a larger order, you must send us a cancellation email. You will be charged pro-rata for the work already done by the time we receive your cancelation email. Translation can even be finished as quickly as 2 hours even if you ordered 1 week service, if the translators happen to have an availability at the time.

How will my translation be delivered?

Your translation will be delivered in electronic format by email either in MS Office format, or PDF if you require certified translation. Please note that turnaround time is quoted for delivery of electronic copy only.

If you require a bound copy by post, we can post it free of charge if the document is small via 1st class post after emailing you the electronic version. You will have to check the translation before we post it. We do not assume responsibility for delivery times of a bound copy as it’s up to Royal Mail.

We can also send it via Special (£7.45), Next-day (£7.45) of courier delivery (price depends on destination). Please indicate upon placing your order.

If you do not receive the document within 7 working days, please let us know, we will send you another copy.

I need translation urgently. How can I get it?

If you order is urgent, please indicate the deadline you need both the electronic and printed versions by. The may be urgency surcharges for performing the work in less than 24-48 hours. We will quote the price including any urgency charges. We will email you electronic version by the agreed deadline. Since you order is urgent, we do not recommend postage by regular post, as nobody can guarantee delivery time. Instead we recommend that you collect the printed copy from our office between 8:30 am and 5:30 pm Mon-Fri (prior appointment required) or organise courier to deliver same-day.

Do you have confidentiality policy?

LingvoHouse adheres to strict confidentiality policy from the moment you email us your inquiry. You can view full Confidentiality Policy here. Should you prefer to sign separate NDA, LingvoHouse would be be happy to do so.

What are apostilles used for?

An apostille is a special seal applied by an authority to certify that a document is a true copy of an original. Apostilles are available in countries, which signed the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, popularly known as The Hague Convention. This convention, created in 1961, replaces the time consuming chain certification process used so far, where you had to go to four different authorities to get a document certified.

An apostille can be used whenever a copy of an official document from another country is needed. For example, for international marriages, adoptions, inheritance, but also for plain contracts. The apostille is an official certification that the document is a true copy of the original. It does not certify that the original document’s content is correct, however.

What is FCO?

FCO or the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is the government department responsible for promoting British interests overseas and supporting British residents and businesses around the globe. The FCO also offers legalisation services. FCO legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on a document is genuine. The FCO attach an apostille (the legal term for the legalisation certificate) to confirm that it is genuine. All applications from individuals for document legalisation are made to Norfolk House in Milton Keynes.

Why do documents need to be legalised by FCO?

If you are going to use documents issued in Great Britain overseas, for business or personal reasons, you’ll probably be asked to have your documents legalised before they can be accepted. The FCO stamp of authenticity gives the person you’re dealing with complete confidence that it’s the genuine article.

What is a notary certification?

The notary certification, or notarised translation, is usually required if documents will be submitted to organisations and government authorities.

Why is the notary certification so expensive?

In Great Britain, notary certifications, or notarisations, are carried out by public notaries. Notaries are public officers who serve the public by taking affidavits, witnessing and authenticating the execution of certain documents and performing other official acts. High notary charges are connected with the high grade of responsibility which is imposed on the Notary.

A Notary Public in the UK can be relied on to see to it that business and legal documents are signed and witnessed properly and in accordance with the requirements of the country concerned. The duty of a Notary involves a high standard of care. This is not only towards the client, but also to anyone who may rely on the document and to Governments or officials of other countries. These people are entitled to assume that a Notary will ensure full compliance with the relevant requirements both here and abroad, and to rely on the Notary’s register and records. Documents certified by a Notary are sealed with the Notary’s seal and are recorded by the notary in a register maintained by him/her.

What is a Power of Attorney?

A Power of Attorney is a legal document whereby a person gives another person or persons the power to take decisions with regard to their financial affairs and/or their health and personal welfare.

    In England and Wales, there are following types of Powers of Attorney:

  • Ordinary Power of Attorney
    An Ordinary Power of Attorney is usually created for a set period of time in cases where the Granter is going abroad or is unable to act for some other reason and wishes someone else to have the authority to act on his or her behalf. The authority granted can be general or limited to specific affairs. An Ordinary Power of Attorney will usually end either at a specified time or upon the request of the Granter at any time using a Deed of Revocation and will automatically be revoked if the Granter loses mental capacity. There is no requirement for an Ordinary Power of Attorney to be registered.
  • Lasting Power of Attorney
    Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPAs) were introduced by the Mental Capacity Act 2005 from 1 October 2007. They allow individuals to appoint Attorneys to look after their property and financial affairs (a Property and Financial Affairs LPA) and also to make health and personal welfare decisions (a Health and Welfare LPA) when they lack the capacity to make these decisions themselves in the future. The Attorney(s) can only use the LPA after it has been registered with the Office of the Public Guardian.
  • Deed of Revocation
    A Deed of Revocation can be used to cancel an Ordinary Power of Attorney, at any time after the Power has been granted; and a Lasting Power of Attorney, at any time while the Granter still has mental capacity.

What is a Sworn Translation?

As per the ITI Website In the UK, as a common law country, there is no such thing as a sworn translator.

However, in civil law countries such as France, Spain, Germany and Italy, sworn translators (usually with a degree or other equivalent qualification in translation) are appointed and accredited by the relevant government authorities.

Depending on the country, only sworn translators who are listed on the official list of sworn translators may produce a ‘certified’, ‘sworn’ or ‘official’ translation. If in doubt, please seek advice from the Embassy of the target country.

If you are looking for a sworn translator, we have a list of duly registered sworn translators for various countries. Please mention this within your enquiry.

Email us info@lingvohouse.com
Order Now
no-hassle certified translation service 

On Certified Translation

Translation of official documents can in a lot of cases require an official stamp, which acts as assurance that the translation is accurate. In these cases this is when certified translation becomes official translation.

When it comes to getting certified translation it is very important that you use a reputable certified translation London agency who has a proven record for certified translation work.

When a certified translator works with a document they will be aware of the fact that it has the potential to become an official and legal document. There are a number of different requirements that a certified translation must adhere to:

  • The translation will become legally valid when an official translator dates and signs it.
  • The requirements for a certified translator will vary from one country to another and in some the translator will need to be a member of professional organisations within their country.
  • In a lot of cases certified translation will not be required for official use the requirements may vary depending on the country the translation is used in.

Please see explanatory guidance on various types of certifications on the website of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting.

One of the biggest benefits of getting certified translation London by a professional agency is that it will give you the confidence of knowing that your translation will be accepted by official organisations in the UK.

More on Certified Translation

Certification of Translation for Use Overseas

It is vital to find out the requirements for translations of the country you will be using translation in before ordering a certified document translation service as London based certified document translation agencies will be familiar only with the UK rules.